Monday, January 2, 2012

Review: It's Not All About "Me": The Top Ten Techniques for Building Rapport

I have read so many titles and yet I have never taken the time to write a review. But after reading this one I decided to change that. 

This was a very interesting read. The techniques discussed are very practical and can be applied to any situation. As stated in another review, I too enjoyed technique number 5 - Ego suspension. It is in fact one of the hardest things to accomplish. 

I also enjoyed technique number 8 - Connect with quid pro quo. Here the author aptly reminds us that human beings are genetically coded to reciprocate gifts. 

Prior to reading this book I had not paid much attention to technique number 1 - establishing artificial time constraints. But as the author points out it can be such an effective technique.

I was introduced to technique number 2, the use of accommodating nonverbals while reading Christopher Hadnagy's - Social engineering: The Art of Human Hacking. As a side note that title is a MUST read. Ok so back to the business at hand. I was again reminded of the powerful effect of this technique. The examples used by the author were very effective at driving the point home. He takes you through the stages someone goes though when they are assessing a situation and how use of the technique can help put the individual at ease. Absolutely fascinating !!!

In the end, it is an awesome read. You will have a hard time putting this one down. I bought this over the holidays based on a tweet I saw. And I am glad I did. The "war stories" that accompany each technique will keep you wanting more.

Great job Robin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment